Video Remote Interpreting Requirements
While working with DSU, the interpreter’s home office or other private location must meet the following requirements:
- Designate a secure, HIPAA-compliant, remote workspace with a lockable door.
- Your workspace should include all the appropriate equipment (desk, chair, lamp, etc.).
- Make sure all devices are charged and plugged into a battery.
- Keep family members, roommates, and pets out of your workspace while you are working.
- Consider setting up a busy sign or light outside your door to notify others when you are on a call.
- Intel Duo Core Processor that runs at least 2.2Ghz and at least 2 GB RAM.
- Windows Operating System (XP or Vista).
- Microsoft Office, or a similar application with Word, Excel, etc.
- Screen resolution of at least 1280 x 1200, preferably hardwired.
- High-speed, broadband internet service with speeds to support high-quality, seamless video. At a minimum, download speeds of 20 Mbps and upload speeds of 10 Mbps.
- Fiber-optic, (1Gig) internet is best if it is available in your area.
- Hard-wired connection is preferred, use an Ethernet cable whenever possible. A USB to Ethernet adapter can be used if your computer does not have an Ethernet plug-in.
- Have a backup internet option (cellular internet connection, cable internet connection, etc.) readily available.
- External Webcam running at VGA 30 fps.
- Use a contrasting, solid color like royal blue, charcoal, or bright green.
- Paint the wall behind you or use a pop-up video backdrop.
- Use appropriate lighting to ensure quality and consistent visuals on screen.
- Cool white light bulbs or color-changing lightbulbs set to bright white or slight blue are recommended.
- Be mindful of the daylight coming into your space and use blackout curtains if necessary.
Recommended products can be found on Amazon, B&H Photo, or other local retailers. Here are examples to reference what to look for.
A 5×7′ or 8×10′, solid-colored, sturdy, collapsible backdrop with durable fabric that absorbs light and eliminates reflections.
A high-resolution camera with a high frame rate that allows for different camera angles and positioning.
A comfortable headset with enhanced sound quality and a background noise-canceling microphone.